Saturday, April 14, 2012

Korean Food

My kids LOVE noodles and rice. I was talking to my husband how I have to train them to eat sandwiches for lunch or they'll be the odd ones out in lunch eating dinuguan (aka chocolate meat) at lunch time in their magnolia tupperware!!! I love noodles and rice for them too because I can sneak veggies into them pretty good.

So I've been follwing steamy kitchen for awhile. Her recipes are yummy and they are easy. The recipes I have here are for Jap Chae and Korean Beef Bowls.

So let's start out.. I'm not the best cutter in the world. As I said from a previous post I'm not the best cutter and it's because I have a lot of interruptions.. Mommy I'm thirsty, Mommy I need my rapunzel doll, Mommy Mommy Mommy haha..



So I cut everything for both dishes first, then cooked rice and started cooking the Korean Beef Bowl.

2 cups raw rice
1 pound beef (see headnote)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks (or 1 cup matchstick cut carrots)
1 small zucchini, diced
2 handfuls of spinach leaves
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds

For the beef, if using flank steak: Cut the steak into very thin slices ACROSS the grain. If using other steak: Cut the steak into very small cubes, about 1/2-inch. If using ground beef: leave as-is.
In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and brown sugar. Add the beef and toss to coat. Let marinate while you prep the vegetables. Steps 1 and 2 can be done ahead of time up to 1 day before.
Heat a large saute pan or wok on medium heat. When hot, swirl in the oil. Add the onions and saute for 1 minute. Turn the heat to high and give it just a few seconds to heat up. Add in the beef, spreading the beef all over the surface of the pan, tossing with the onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes until just barely pink.
Add in the carrots, zucchini and toss. Cook for 1 minute. Toss in the spinach and cook for an additional minute. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.

So when cutting the beef I cut it into very very small cubes then tossed it in the soy sauce, seasme oil, ginger, garlic and brown sugar mixture. I let it sit there for a couple of minutes. Then started cooking. I put the onions in my wok first then added the beef.



Once the beef is pretty cooked I added the carrots and zucchini and let it cook.


After a minute I put the spinach in and let it cook.



I serve it with white rice and put sesame seeds on top. This is a favorite at our house and the kids and the hubby eat it up. The hubby adds siracha to his and the kids eat it like a fried rice since they stir it up.

But tonight was a different night and I made jap chae a Korean glass noodle dish with it.

1/2 pound dried Korean sweet potato noodles
2 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
1 tablespoon cooking oil
3/4 cup thinly sliced onions
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 stalks green onions, cut into 1″ lengths
1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced (shitake, wood ear)
1/2 lb spinach, washed well and drained
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Fill a large pot with water and boil. When water is boiling, add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again and toss with only 1 tsp of the sesame oil. Use kitchen shears to cut noodles into shorter pieces, about 8 inches in length. Set aside.

In bowl, mix soy sauce & sugar together. Add the cooking oil in a wok or large saute pan on high heat and swirl to coat. When the cooking oil is hot but not smoking, fry onions and carrots, until just softened, about 1 minute. Add the garlic, green onions and mushrooms, fry 30 seconds. Then add the spinach, soy sauce, sugar and the noodles. Fry 2-3 minutes until the noodles are cooked through. Turn off heat, toss with sesame seeds and the remaining 1 1/2 tsp of sesame oil.

So I boiled the noodles for 5 minutes and drained them. After draining them I rinsed the noodles with cold water drained again and tossed with 1 tsp. of sesame oil. I cut the noodles into shorter pieces.



I made a mixture of the soy sauce and sugar. Just incase I doubled it at this time just incase I needed more sauce.

In a large saute pan I heated up the oil and fried up the onions and carrots. After I added the garlic and mushrooms (dangit I always forget to buy green onions!!).



I added the spinach, and noodles. From there I gradually added the soy sauce and sugar mixture to see how much liquid needed to be added. I ended up putting the whole thing.

Once it was done I tossed it in 1 1/2 tsp. of sesame oil.



The verdict. I thought I would have lunch the next day for the kids but nope they ate it up and left a very small bowl as leftovers. The next morning they asked for more noodles for breakfast. I call that a successful recipe!!!

1 comments:

Cherry Q said...

Korean sweet potato noodles, looks like something I can't get out here. They look like pancit bihon noodles, no?

Post a Comment